Saturday, January 18, 2014

I have a dream...

We spent the week learning about Martin Luther King Jr. and diversity. What fun! My students were very interested in this subject and only had one moment where a student had mistaken MLK for "that man in the movie who killed all the aliens". I had no idea what he was referring to until another student helped me out by stating "yeah, I saw that Men in Black". So, apparently the picture displayed on my Smartboard resembled Will Smith?? lol The graphic organizer we completed on MLK Jr. was found at the Curriculum Castle. It was just the right level for my Kinders!


Another activity we did, which turned out to be one of my favorites, was the dove fingerprint painting. Each child chose a color of paint to represent them and made 25 fingerprint dots on their dove. Everyone rotated to the next dove and made 25 on that dove. This continued until they had made their "mark" on each dove. Diversity was the vocabulary word discussed and how we are all different but can live together in peace (hence the dove). They wrote "I have a dream.." on the top. I think they turned out cute!



No comments:

Post a Comment