Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Center Organization

Organizing your centers is one of hardest things for teachers, but can be one of the biggest pay-offs if you take the time and just do it. I'm going to show you how I have my math, word work, and writing centers organized.

Before I begin, I have to stress.......This was not all done at once! It has taken me a couple years to work up to this. Just focus on one center this year or one aspect of this organization system. You will continue to tweak your system as you grow professionally and finally reach a point of contentment.

I begin by using a table/chart to provide a visual and guide that I will house in a binder and use for easy changing of centers.
I have these charts made for each center.

Once I have chosen what activities that I want in that center for that time frame, I place a copy of the chart and all materials (that can fit) in a plastic envelope with a label of the dates covered. I have designated a specific color to each center. My writing center is black, math is red, and word work is blue. 




Once these plastic envelopes (purchased at Dollar General for $0.50 each!) are stuffed and labeled, they are placed in a storage tub that is labeled with the month and placed above my cabinets until needed.


You will find different activities that you like better and will constantly adjust your charts, but the overall system is in place and pretty easy to use. My goal is to have it so organized that my student teacher can pull down a tub and immediately know which tubs to replace when and with what materials. My third grade daughter helped me switch out centers last school year on Fridays and it was a piece of cake! My focus can now be taken off the stress of center changing and on to something else! lol

I have included a copy of my center activities for the first half of the year, along with a blank template for you to begin creating your own! ;)

Click HERE





No comments:

Post a Comment